Tuesday, May 03, 2005

God's own heater.

Was in Kollam since Thursday. Got back to Blore today morning; tanned and dehydrated.
Kerala is getting hotter every day. The last time I peed so much was at age 2 in my ammumas lap. She loves me you see, and I do it to every one I love.

"no no Merina, with you it was all that beer.....ahem of course my love too".

Kerala is only a step away from sun-strokes and coolers. Maalu chettans and chechis are growing darker, though not less beautiful.
If it was not for all that tender coconut and maalu kutties, I would have disowned my stature as Mr.Nair.

Spent some time at Varkala "Papanashini", an hour’s drive from my house in Kollam. It came as a reminder; why Kerala is Gods own Sweet spot.
They say, if you want to cleanse your soul take a dip at Varkala; I did. Wonder why it tasted salty??!!
The famous 2000 year old Vishnu temple was prohibited for me because of religious reasons (since there was a death in my family I am devoid of temples for the next 16 days)

The sea side was sprawling with huts and shops exclusive to the white skinned. “Kappa” “meen curry” and many other dishes, adoring my moms table every day, was an exquisite dish in Varkala; they were priced lofty too. The local tea stall had a board painted "cafĂ© espresso" and spelled correctly too; they didn’t zimply say mallus have 100% literacy.

Though TAJ group was minting money by the cliff; the locals were having their share of cake too, a big one. Mr.Krishnakumar was running a "Exchange de currency here" from his 4X4 mtr thatched hut and mariamma had her "International hotel for Kerala spices" busy; talk about globalisation.
Marriamma getting all that spice with her loose blouse and low tied mundu is understandable, but Krishnakumar all that currency!!!...I wonder from where??

2 comments:

silverine said...

Pity u. Kollam can be sizzling. My recent visit to 'gerala' was extremely disturbing. Ugly brown patches where green trees once stood, buildings and petrol pumps and plastics everywhere.

Oneirodynic said...

LOL on that 'ammumma's lap' thingie!